Saturday, January 7, 2012

Pray without ceasing.

Prayer is potentially the easiest, and at the same time, most challenging thing to do daily. No matter where I turn to seek guidance in my faith life, one thing is always consistently repeated...In order to grow close to God, you have to maintain a consistent prayer life. You must be persistent in prayer. 






Jesus asked us to pray, every Sunday at mass, we learn the benefits of prayer, so why do we struggle with it so much? Quite frankly, I suck at being consistent with my prayers. I tend to have times in my life where I will ask the Big Guy what's crackin' every day, and then other times in my life where the only time I pay him any mind is before my meal when I pray Grace, or at mass on Sunday. There is something very wrong with this picture.
I think Mother Teresa was a genius. A while ago, I read some writings she had on prayer. The way she spoke about prayer was immensely powerful. I encourage you to look up some of your writings, specifically her book "No Greater Love", in my opinion is phenomenal. 
I really like one quote within the book. Mother Teresa writes, "Perfect prayer does not consist in many words, but in the fervor of the desire which raises the heart to Jesus." I think sometimes I forget that I don't have to have a long and elaborate prayer to God. Prayer is essentially just a chit chat with God. It can be as short or as long as we like. God is just happy to have us there. 


Another important thing I constantly forget is that sometimes you don't even have to say anything at all. Silence can be a form of prayer. Sometimes we just need to shut up, and listen to God. He will tell us what we need to hear. 


I guess the point I'm making is that prayer shouldn't be hard and scary. We should love to pray, everyday. 




Philippians 4: 6-7 



No comments:

Post a Comment